5.12.07

What Dreams May Come

I was thinking about the 3 professions I would've liked to pursue if my circumstances had been slightly different. The following are things I've loved, consistently, over the course of many, many years.

#1-an Astronaut, if I had been fearless when choosing my academic pursuits (fascination: outer space - need I say more?)
#2-an Airforce Pilot, if I had been male, weren't so lacking in spatial orientation, & less of a Pacifist (fascination: the sexy f-16)
#3-a Choreographer, if I had been a dancer (fascination: movement in general as form of expression, contemporary dance, music)

Not to say my dreams are shattered. There are still 2 professions that my imagination can entertain, however slim-to-none my chances of their materialization may be.
-a Freelance Writer for National Geographic, Scientific American (etc.)
-a Playing With People's Brains, in all of its inappropriate forms

And now, a very short (& subtitled in Spanish) excerpt from Waking Life (another of my all-time favorites), that so coherently ties together dreams, the Machine, & the persistence of a hope for their eventual disentanglement. Oh - &, not only is it animated, but also digitally rotoscoped, producing pleasurable sensations of surrealism. Enjoy!

Waking Life - Dreams for Free

Besos.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

We might as well call this the "weekly critique column".

As you mention some of these so-called "dreams" you wish to have pursued or as I assume, wish to pursue in some other life. I cannot help but feel disappointed... See, as I sit here in my small, meaningless cubicle of hell (computer lab), all that I wish for is to be somewhere else, somewhere distant from this life-sucking area of deceit and wasteful "something"...-that was purely an example of how this place not only diminishes, but turns obsolete the imagination of its population. By no means should this message be thought of as demeaning to this fine institution, but it should however be known as fact! fact that every institution of these sorts is nothing more than simple false advertising. "college is the time of your life", "these are the days to remember, the time to meet the friends and colleagues that will be with you forever", "Your sexual prime"...wait what?
As I get back to my initial point, I will conclude with this...
I would give anything to be in another country. Learning a new culture, especially one that not only loves to drink and have a good time, but one with the best futbol in the world. So as you lie there in your bed, "attempting" to go to sleep and complaining of insomnia and lack of understanding of new language terms and phrases, think of those who were left behind. Those poor souls that sit here in volatile weather, one that could change drastically from one minute to the next. We could wake up in 55 degree weather, leave for the day and be over-dressed as the climate heats to an astounding 85 degrees, or even worse, we could be prepared for 85 degrees and be shocked with a wind chill of below 60!! It is unbearable to deal with this type of uncertainty. This "pain" is not merely as much physical as it is psychological.
So I say again, please, think of the unfortunate souls living in this so-called "utopia".
Before closing, I must say this... The intentions of this post are pure, not to be misunderstood with an attack on your situation. This was merely a reminder, one of "humbleness" if you will.
In closing, live your life with your eyes, arms, and most importantly, your heart wide open, And don not forget the people at home, who miss you, love you, and think of you daily, as we sit here waiting...for our turn to experience the world.