27.11.07

Sing Me Back Home

I bought the entire DVD set to Planet Earth just before moving to London, because I knew that my favorite "American" pastime - Guitar Hero - would sadly be unavailable to my humble & television-less English abode. ...Despite my numerous trips to Best Buy in hopes of self-persuasion & even my diligent dedication to achieve COMPLETE DOMINATION of its color-induced finger-dances. A bit extreme, some might say. I like to think of it more as discipline.

Point is, I can't play Planet Earth on my laptop because, apparently, I got "too excited" & bought the HD version, & my aging Compaq is too senile to read its new, coming-of-age files. And to think, I even had Led Zeppelin's Greatest Hits downloaded & ready to play in concurrence with - oh, you know - the humpback whale's lonesome coasts through endlessly transparent waters; the tiger shark's ominous circles around some all-too-loved Nemo; the gay, graceful sway of a carefree school of fish. Indeed, B Hall was right: Zeppelin was so down-to-earth that he (probably unconsciously) wrote the soundtrack to Nature itself (or, for those unfamiliar with the term, to what would later be visually communicated to the world through Planet Earth).

I have to settle for YouTube now. Check it out - it's from BBC, & you won't be disappointed. (If you're impatient, you can fastforward to the 2nd minute.) Hear me out - I'm reading Brian Greene's The Elegant Universe, & I just keep finding myself astonished at how coherently String Theory defies all common sense (note the irony), at how the human mind can originate such transcendentally impacting theories, at how anything could be more fascinating than the very fabric of our universe...

Oh, I'll tell you how. Watch the Lyre Bird. He tops even modern physics in this captivating (& quite humorous) attempt to outdo any sound that might endanger his potential for courtship.

The Lyre Bird

Besos.

No comments: