29.2.08

Please follow me into the sea...

Don't worry if it's cold. (Phish)

I have a terrible attention span (& too curious a mind), so I'm constantly finding new books to read, movies to watch, places to visit...

What this really means - that I hardly ever finish what I started!  But I have an inexplicable addiction to
physics books (yeah, I know - it's embarrassing) & an even more terrible habit of reading them front-to-back.  Anyway, I'm almost done reading The Elegant Universe by theoretical physicist Brian Greene, who is currently at Columbia University in New York.  I only wanted to mention it here because I think he does a brilliant job of breaking down complex theories into comprehensible concepts.  You can even watch the mini-series online, here.  


Salvador Dalí's The Disintegration of the Persistence of Memory, & a powerful welcome to the new physics of his times. (I think he was a Heisenberg fan.)  Speaking of which, I love his clocks - depictions of relativistic time? For me, at least a reminder to stop breathe.  

For the more philosophically (or less mathematically) inclined mind, I read The Dancing Wu Li Masters: An Overview of the New Physics some time ago, in which Gary Zukav explains the pillars of quantum physics through occasional allusions to ancient Eastern philosophies. 

Uuuff, enough thinking.  Time to kick back & howl at the moon.

Janis Joplin - Summertime (Live Gröna Lund 1969)
Besos.

1 comment:

Jerry said...

nice !!!
bringing brian greene, janis joplin and salvador dali in one post...
plus giving me brain food for 3 hours of audiovisual procrastination.
lovin' it.