6.1.08

A Dónde Van las Miradas...

Que un día partieron? (-Silvio Rodriguez)

Today is the last day of a 3-week holiday vacation. ::Sigh:: All my visitors have now parted & I'm left anxiously awaiting Odile's return from Florida. Although it'll be a difficult 6 months ahead (I actually have to finish my thesis on time!), I'm determined to break it up & get away to the mountains at some point, to the sea when it's warmer... and I'll finally have my long-awaited siccus to soothe my frustrations & feed me sweet tunes. Yay!

I haven't yet been able to watch it, but my brother recommended Ten Questions for the Dalai Lama, a documentary film, not only about the Dalai Lama's life, but also about Tibet's struggle with the Chinese invasion of 1950 & with the political, as well as cultural, oppression that has forced thousands to live in exile from their homeland. It's filmed in his home in India, to where he fled after the collapse of the Tibetan Resistance Movement in '59, & it's won a number of awards. Click here for the film's website, if you wanna check it out. There's been countless newspaper articles published over the past years discussing the extreme censorship that the Chinese government has imposed on its peoples, including the recent agreement by internet search engines like MSN, Yahoo!, & Google to censor certain types of information in China (horrendous, & they claim that it's in exchange for greater "access to information" even though anything even slightly challenging to the government's ideology has been banned & cannot, thus, be accessed!). Just type "China and censorship" into a search engine, & prepare to be horrified.

1 (actually 2) of my all-time favorites, below. The lyrics are amazing.

El que tenga una canción tendrá tormenta
El que tenga compañía, soledad.
El que siga un buen camino tendrá sillas
Peligrosas que lo inviten a parar.

Silvio Rodriguez - A Dónde Van? y Historia de las Sillas


Besos.
Y saltitos de colores.

No comments: